Diameter: 1,391,000 km
Mass: 333,000 Earths
Composition: Hydrogen & helium
Surface Temperature: Approx 5505 °C
Year length: N/A
Day length: N/A
- The Sun is almost perfectly spherical.
- It is composed mainly of hydrogen with the remainder mostly helium.
- Formed about 4.57 billion years ago, the Sun is currently what is known as a Yellow Dwarf and is halfway through its main-sequence stage, with another 5 billion years left to burn before it dies.
- The surface temperature of the Sun is approximately 5505 °C, with this colossal output of energy powering most of the life on Earth.
- The name Sun is derived from the old English sunne, possibly originating from south.
- The Latin for Sun is Sol, which is displayed in Solar System.